Turning Interest Into Action
At Saving Lynnewood Hall, we’re committed to investing our expertise and resources in order to further and achieve our cause. Since 2017, we’ve been supporting our community members in a variety of ways and measuring our success not by monetary size, but by more qualitative measurements such as the scale and effectiveness of our efforts. Just imagine what we can achieve together!
History : The Last American Versailles
Lynnewood Hall : An American Palace
Lynnewood Hall, in it's genesis, was a palatial estate. Built for industrialist Peter A. B. Widner, Lynnewood Hall is comprised of the 36 continuous acres, protected by wrought-iron fence. The neoclassical revival style mansion measures, 325 feet long by 215 feet deep. Fashioned by guided age master architect Horace Trumbauer, Lynnewood featured a ballroom large enough for 1000 guilded age guests. When Lynnewood Hall was constructed, it totaled around 70,000 square feet.
The Main House also featured a indoor swimming pool, wine cellars, carpentry and upholstery studios, and an electrical power plant; state of the art in 1900.
Construction took 4 years to complete.
Also on the Estate; Lynnewood Lodge served as guest house and servants quarters spanning over 15,000 square feet.
Outside the fence, Lynnewood Farms, since sold and is now a residential development.
Widners & the affection for art
An art gallery anchored the rear wing of the mansion. The Widners amassed a large collection of art by Raphael, Rembrandt, El Greco, Van Dyck and Donatello among others. In 1940, following P. A. B. Widners death in 1915, Joseph Widner donated more than 2,000 sculptures, paintings, decorative art works and porcelains to the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C.
The paintings included Raphael's Small Cowper Madonna, Bellini's Feast of the gods, eight van Dycks, two Vermeers, fourteen Rembrandts, and a series of portraits by Gainsborough and Reynolds. The sculptures included Donatello's "David" and Desiderio da Settignano's "St John the Baptist".